What key resource has been instrumental in giving you or your team the right skills?

Ashleigh Monagle

What key resource has been instrumental in giving you or your team the right skills in tackling information management, digital transformation and thinking about designing and operating digital twins 

Your opinions and knowledge are vital as we develop training plans to deliver a National Digital Twin and we ask that you kindly comment below. Suggestions could be online resources, higher education or professional institution courses or any other sources of training that have helped when tackling information management, digital transformation and thinking about designing and operating digital twins.  

Working as part of the Mott MacDonald and Lane4 team appointed by the Construction Innovation Hub, we are developing a Skills and Competency Framework with targeted role-based training plans to upskill the wider workforce in key skills and competencies needed to design and operate digital twins. This moves beyond the technical ruleset, toolset and mindset of the Information Management Framework (IMF), and will address the training needed to engage a workforce ripe for progression and change.   

All submissions and comments sent before the 12th February will be included in our training research, but we encourage the conversation and sharing of training materials to continue beyond this date. We look forward to sharing the outputs with you.  

Edited by Ashleigh Monagle
Adding tags
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Ashleigh 🙂 

I know the Mott MacDonald Digital Ventures team uses a range of training resources to upskill, all with varying levels of commitment (time and cost) depending on your goals/ wants from undertaking training.

A key training provider is Pluralsight: https://www.pluralsight.com/. Contains a range of courses for Data Professionals, Information and Cyber Security and Software Development. 

Edited by Hannah

All the materials and course slides/ notes for the Digital Advancement Academy and the Crossrail Information Management Academy are at your disposal if you want.

just to add, they aren't online and have always been a constantly changing and updating set of advice to people and organisations.

Edited by iain miskimmin
  • Thanks 1

I think for specific technologies and processes I can't escape the need to read the manual (RTM) or read the standard. So I'm going to answer the question what should people who are interested in digital transformation read, which I'm afraid might not help you answer the question you have in front of you, but hey, hopefully somebody finds a good book to read. 

A lot of people get fixated on solutions, it has to be this tech or that tech, or badged this way or that. Read The Innovator's Solution to rise above such nonsense and look at the real problems you're trying to solve.

Once you know what problems you're trying to solve a book that I enjoyed was Octalysis: Actionable Gamification which looks at motivating users. So many times people produce new solutions that fail, because the operator on site simply ignored it, this isn't a book about VR, this is a book about motivating people to engage with your innovation.

Then, as a project/programme progresses we will all naturally fall into many cognitive biases that Thinking Fast and Slow can help with.

Three books to make you a better digital/innovation professional in my opinion.

• Like 3

As a Scaled Agile Coach, I can see the benefits Agile can bring to Digital Twin Projects, especially where there are lots of uncertainty at the start of the project and good measure of experimentation might be needed to find the right solution. I would recommend any Agile training/material. Also for larger projects (more than 50 people) I would recommend Leading SAFe course from Scaled Agile Inc. With regards to books I would recommend:

- Project to Product, by Mik Kersten

- The DevOps handbook, by Gene Kim

- The unicorn Project by Gene Kim

- Sprint, by Jake Knapp

• Like 2

Hello

There are papers by AMRC (https://www.amrc.co.uk/files/document/404/1604658922_AMRC_Digital_Twin_AW.pdf), Leading Edge Forum (https://leadingedgeforum.com/insights/digital-twins-a-guide-to-the-labyrinth/), and Iotics is also featuring a series of podcasts (https://www.iotics.com/about/digital-reflections/) by thought leaders which are most inspiring in regard to the ongoing definition debate, future roadmap and art of the probable.

I find these helpful.

Best wishes

Sophie

• Like 2